Call me crazy, but I’m not a fan of decorating my house for much of anything other than Christmas. When Christmas rolls around I will gladly turn my house inside out and upside down with decorations, but the other holidays and seasons get no love from me. Putting a wreath up is as far as I’ll go (if that) and I think there are a couple of reasons for this…
1. My family didn’t really do much decorating except for Christmas… we go all out for Christmas. My mom did/does decorate for fall a little, but that’s about it.
2. Because most of the decorations you see at the store are cheesy. Don’t hate me it you love it all, but I’m not a fan and I don’t want to and will not decorate with bunnies, witches and whatever else Target schemes up to get people to spend money.
3. A lot of the people I know that do decorate complain about it. If you don’t enjoy it then don’t do it. It’s not a requirement. Nothing makes me think, “don’t start decorating” like hearing people complain about what a pain it is to decorate.
4. I’m cheap. I would rather spend my money on anything other than seasonal decor that is only up for a few weeks and hardly anyone sees. This is the same reason I’m not a “collector” of anything. It’s just a way to spend a bunch of money on stuff you don’t need. Who really needs 100 pumpkins for the sake of “collecting” them. Less is more… really.
5. Hallmark Holidays. The stores turning every holiday into a money-maker. It drives me crazy that Easter is downplayed as a “spring is in the air” holiday and Christmas is all about Santa and presents so EVERYONE will participate. Well guess what… bunnies are a super lame way to tell people “He is risen” and Santa didn’t drop baby Jesus off in the manger. People don’t even know what they’re really supposed to be celebrating they just get sucked into whatever the stores are selling. Stepping off my soap box now.
I do have to say that I have seen a lot of blogs doing really cute, non-cheesy decorating for fall so I know it is possible. I also understand people decorating for fall down here in the south where we don’t really get a fall. If I did decorate, I think fall would be the prettiest/easiest to decorate for (next to Christmas) because of all the leaves and colors you can use. Anyways, call me lazy or the Grinch of holiday/seasonal spirit but I just don’t need all that stuff to tell me how to celebrate.