I don’t know what it is about pregnancy, but people just feel the need to give you all sorts of advice and tell you how it’s going to be. I don’t think there is anything else in the world that makes people word vomit their expertise on a subject quite like having a baby. So, let me ask you, if you’ve read 1 biology textbook do you consider yourself a biologist? Goodness, I hope not. Then if you’ve experienced pregnancy, childbirth and child-rearing 1 time, maybe even twice, should you be considered an expert? I think no. I think this mostly because every pregnancy, every labor, and every child is completely different! So, unless you’re Mrs. Duggar, save yourself. And for sure don’t tell me the following…
“Sleep now, you’re going to need it.”
– Really… I mean really??? I had NO clue that my child was going to be up at all hours of the night because she will need to eat or she will just plain want to cry. No clue.
“Breastfeeding is hard and you’re going to want to quit.”
– Oh. My. Goodness. This is completely new information. I never thought feeding my baby with my breasts, which up until now had no purpose, other than decorative, would be the slightest bit difficult or painful. I thought it would be a similar experience to the one I have a when I get a coke at the fountain at a fast food restaurant. Oh and P.S. thanks for the encouragement!
“Just remember pregnancy is not a disease. You were made to do this.”
– Yep, pretty sure I’ve got that part. Thanks random guy at the gym.
“You NEED this exact type of (insert random baby item here), it’s the BEST one.”
– So you’ve tried them all? That’s amazing and expensive.
“Get the epidural as soon as possible.”
– It’s actually going to hurt to get this baby out? Is that what you’re telling me? Again, I was totally in the dark on this one. I’d also like to add that, that’s not at all how I plan to do it, but again, thanks for your assumptions and non-advice.
“Your life will never be the same.” (said in a oh, you don’t know what you’ve gotten yourself into way)
– I was really hoping it would be like winning a goldfish at the carnival and taking it home. Crazy to think there’s more involved in it than that.
What I’m saying here is this. I like information. I research EVERYTHING. I’ve been reading about pregnancy since way before it was even necessary for me. If I have a question, I’ll ask, but don’t assume that I’m completely clueless about this whole process and that I’m still not even sure how a baby ended up inside my body. End pregnant rant.